Zentangle art is a process in which someone creates patterns through drawing lines and shapes. Zentangle is the zen-like approach to creating art from black and white lines, shapes, and patterns. Zentangles can be done anywhere without needing any fancy materials or tools. Zentangles are usually symmetrical, but they don’t have to be–the most important thing is that you enjoy it!
The Facts about Zentangle Art
- Zentangling at home has many benefits such as reducing stress levels and increasing creativity.
- Zentangle can be practiced anywhere there is a flat surface like your dining room table or kitchen counter.
- Zentangle draws are made up of small patterns put together to make something more complex and beautiful than you might expect from such few lines.
- Zentangles contain repetitive lines that contain no meaning or purpose except for the person drawing them. zentangles can include more than just lines, but zentangles often do. zentangle is a combination of zen and tangles. zen meaning z or zed and tangle meaning tangled lines.
- Zentangle art can be used as a stress relief and can be practiced by anybody who wants to learn how to make some cool patterns. zentangle art can be used to de-stress after a bad day, or just to pass the time.
- Zentangles are simple and complex at the same time. zentangles can be created quickly with practice. zentangle is about taking your mind off of every day stress and focus on what you are doing in that moment. zentangle is a way to calm your mind down.
Zentangle art for beginners
The zentangle is an easy doodle that can be done at any time, anywhere you have a pen and paper. They are created by mostly following patterns with the use of repetitive loops and curves.
Step #1. Draw a zig zag line from one side of the paper to the other. The zig zag line will create four sections where you can begin drawing.
Step #2. From right to left, start drawing a zig zag line that intersects the first line about halfway down from the top of the paper.
Step #3. Next, draw a zig zag line from just below the horizontal line on the left side to just above it on the right side.
Step #4. This zentangle has six main shapes. The zig zag lines drawing the four sections each shape one of the zentangle’s six quadrant (or “pots” as they are called).
Step #5. Next, draw a diagonal line that starts at one corner and ends in another to form two more zentangle quadrants.
Step #6. Draw two zig zag lines that start from each side and cross in the center to create 4 more quadrants. The zentangle is now all set up.
Zentangle art ideas
If you’re not sure what zentangle art is, zentangle art is a drawing done by making repetitive tangential strokes on paper, canvas or with other media. It’s simple art with many different patterns that are interesting to both create and look at. You can zentangle on any surface—paper, canvas, fabric, metal or glass with pens, pencils, paints, pastels, woodburning tools or even crochet hooks. The zentangle above was drawn using watercolor pencils on watercolor paper.
One of the most exciting things about zentangles is that they can be made with just a few basic strokes.
Simple zentangles are often more visually pleasing than complicated ones because complicated zendangles can easily lose the viewers’ interest. There are zentangle art examples that are very simple, but also very interesting to look at.
You can zentangle on any surface—paper, canvas, fabric, metal or glass with pens, pencils, paints, pastels, woodburning tools or even crochet hooks. Take your zentangle art ideas and inspiration from zentangle art examples and zen doodles to create interesting zentangle patterns.
Zentangle art for kids
zentangle art is a fun way to make art. zentangle is easy for kids because it has no rules. zentangle can be as simple as drawing lines or as complicated as making patterns. zentangle means zen and tangles, so zentangles are drawings that help you to relax and focus your mind on one thing at a time.
zentangle art is a zen experience that can be done at home. zentangles are made up of repetitive lines put together in a way to make something more complex and beautiful than you might expect from such few lines. zentangle has no rules, so it’s easy for children or beginners to create zendoodles with practice. zentangle art should help you take your mind off everyday stress by focusing on one thing at a time while drawing these fun shapes!